British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service (FESS) Team
The highly trained FESS team are volunteers from the British Red Cross who give their time freely, responding to incidents 24/7/365. They help those affected by traumatic incidents both during and after, supplementing the support from statutory agencies, such as NIFRS.
The FESS team use a specially adapted motor home, equipped with hygiene, feeding, and rest facilities. They automatically attend large scale incidents where 6 or more Fire Appliances are required, and Specialist Rescue incidents- including water rescue, rope rescue, body recovery, farming accidents and flooding.
Since the formation of FESS in 1999 the service has assisted in excess of 10,000 people. This Service is entirely free to people receiving it with costs met through voluntary donations to the British Red Cross.
Interested in volunteering with the Fire Emergency Support Service provided by the British Red Cross? You can find more information on the Volunteer in emergencies | British Red Cross website.
- Immediate emotional and practical support
- Provision of hygiene packs and clothing
- Temporary shelter within the vehicle
- Support in seeking alternative accommodation
- Support with the care of children and provision of toys and books
- Support with the care of pets
- Signposting to other organisations for further assistance and recovery
- Use of a telephone
- Retrieval of personal items, data collection, and photographic evidence for occupants
- Use of shower and toilet facilities
- Transportation to alternative accommodation
- Basic First Aid and AED
- Provision of food, toilet facilities, and comfort facilities for Firefighters at larger or prolonged incidents
- Support to family members and emergency services at Road Traffic Collisions
- Staff rest centres for people who have had to leave their homes as a result of a gas leak or security alert.
FESS teams are located strategically throughout Northern Ireland at Cadogan, Crescent Link and Enniskillen Fire Stations. This provides a 50 mile radius cover or 70 minute travel time to any incident 24/7/365.