The strategic direction, performance and scrutiny of NIFRS is overseen by the NIFRS Board, a body which was established under The Fire and Rescue Services (Northern Ireland) Order 2006. It is a non-departmental public body, with the Department of Health (DoH) as its sponsoring Department.
The NIFRS Board is appointed by the Health Minister and comprises a non-executive Chairperson and 10 non-executive Members, 4 of whom are District Councillors and the remainder are Lay Members. The Chief Fire & Rescue Officer is also a member of the NIFRS Board.
The NIFRS Board normally meets quarterly in the Boardroom at NIFRS Headquarters, 1 Seymour Street, Lisburn and these meetings are open to the public.
(The NIFRS Board continues to take Covid-19 precautions. For the foreseeable future, all essential business of the NIFRS Board or its Committees will be conducted via video conference or in a hybrid manner with participating Members and Senior Officers dialing in from various locations. As a result, there will be no facilities for stakeholders or members of the public to attend and observe our Board Meetings. Minutes of any Board Meetings will be published once approved. As you will appreciate, this is an unprecedented situation and we hope to be able to revert to business as usual as soon as the Board feel it is safe to do so).
Ordinary Board Meeting Provisional Meeting Dates*
- May 2022- Rescheduled to July/August 2022
- June 2022- 5 July 2022 (pm)
- August 2022 – 30 August 2022 (pm)
- September 2022- 27 September 2022 (pm)
- November 2022- 22 November 2022 (pm)
- February 2023- 28 February 2023 (pm)
- May 2023- 23 May 2023 (pm)
* Dates may vary dependent on Business Need and Member availability – in such instances revised dates will be posted.
Ms Carmel McKinney OBE
Mr Andy Hearn
Interim Chief Fire & Rescue Officer