17 December 2020
An On-Call Firefighter based in Larne Fire Station has been praised for his quick actions in rescuing an individual while he was off-duty.
Moore Campbell, who joined Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) earlier this year, was off-duty when he saw smoke coming from a flat on Dromaine Drive on the afternoon of Tuesday 1 December.
Acting quickly, he entered the property and rescued a 52 year old man. His colleagues from Larne Fire Station arrived and extinguished the fire. The casualty was transferred to the care of the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service and treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electric blanket. During the winter months, the risk of accidental fires in the home increase as more people spend more time indoors and additional fire risks such as electric blankets, candles and fairy lights are used in their homes. People over the age of 50 in Northern Ireland are eligible for a Free Home Fire Safety Check from Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service.
Assistant Chief Fire & Rescue Officer, Paddy Gallagher, said:
“The swift and selfless actions of Firefighter Campbell represent the very best of Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service. I commend him for his courage and his professionalism. I also commend the on-duty crews who arrived quickly and extinguished the fire.”
“We know that the winter months present an increased risk of accidental fires in the home. Tragically 4 people have already lost their lives in accidental fires in the home and this incident could have led to another fatality.
“There are simple things you can do to keep yourself and your loved ones safe. Everyone should follow our STOP Fire message. Make sure you have working smoke alarms in your home, test them once a week, be aware of the obvious dangers and plan your escape if a fire does break out.
“Firefighter Campbell and his colleagues go through rigorous training to respond to this kind of incident. Members of the public should never enter a building that’s on fire. We can all protect our loved ones from the risk of fire this winter by speaking to them about the STOP Fire message and contacting NIFRS if there are any concerns.”
Firefighter Moore Campbell, said:
“When I saw the smoke coming out of the building I just did what any one of my colleagues would have done in the same scenario. Thankfully this incident didn’t end in a tragedy but it’s a powerful reminder to all of us of the higher risk of accidental fires in the home during the winter.
“I’d ask everyone in Northern Ireland to support myself and my colleagues this winter by speaking to their friends and family about their home fire safety.”