Home Fire Safety Check
A Home Fire Safety Check is a visit to the home to provide advice on how to stay safe from fire.
Each visit will be carried out by at least two staff from NIFRS who will be wearing NIFRS uniform and will carry a NIFRS photographic identification card.
During the visit they will either fit a smoke alarm or show you how to test your existing smoke alarm, explain the potential fire risks in your home, provide fire safety advice and explain the importance of having a night time fire safety routine and a fire escape plan.
The visit will take up to 40 minutes. Sometimes it is useful when visiting the property and giving advice, a family member, friend, neighbour or care worker is also present so that they can assist with the advice.
How we carry out Home Fire Safety Checks during COVID-19-
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed how we are carrying out Home Fire Safety Checks in order to minimise the risk to the people we visit, and our personnel.
If you require a Home Fire Safety Check and agree to a home visit, you can be assured that our personnel will apply strict COVID-19 measures using appropriate personal protective equipment.
What to expect if you agree to a Home Fire Safety Check visit?
- NIFRS personnel will telephone on the date of the visit to confirm there are no changes to your circumstances regarding Covid-19
- NIFRS personnel will be wearing appropriate Personal Protection Equipment at all times during the visit. This includes –
- Face masks
- Eye protection
- The number of NIFRS personnel entering your home will be limited to two
- NIFRS personnel will stay together while in your home
- We will maintain the maximum social distancing of two metres
- The time we spend in your home will be kept to a minimum
- NIFRS personnel will limit contact with surfaces in your home
If you do not want us to visit your home
Alternatively, if you do not want us to visit your home, we can complete a Home Fire Safety Check over the telephone with you. A follow up visit can be arranged at a later date which suits.