Catherine Bloomfield Road Safety Manager Headquarters Read this articleRead all 9 articles
A Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) Spokesperson said:
“The thoughts and sympathies of Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) are with the family and friends of the 28 year old man who tragically died following a flat fire in Queens Avenue, Cookstown, in the early hours of this morning (Friday 5 October 2018).
“We received a call to Queens Avenue at 2.31am initially to a report of a carbon monoxide alarm sounding in a flat. While in attendance at this incident Firefighters noticed blackened windows in a neighbouring first floor flat.
“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus immediately entered that property and rescued a man from the living room of the flat. Sadly he died at the scene. A fire in the kitchen of the property had burnt itself out.
“The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental. This tragic incident, which has occurred during Fire Safety Week 2018, emphasises the importance of following our basic fire safety advice, including having working smoke alarms and the need to test them once a week.
“We will have our Community Advice and Support Team in the area tomorrow supporting and offering fire safety advice to the local community. Anyone concerned about their own fire safety or that of a family member or neighbour should get in touch with us using our Home Fire Safety Check Referral Form on our website – www.nifrs.org.
“Through our ‘STOP Fire’ campaign, this Fire Safety Week and indeed every week, we continue to remind everyone about the basic fire safety measures they should take to keep safe from fire. Fit a Smoke alarm, Test them every week, look out for Obvious dangers and Plan your escape routes. By routinely completing a number of simple fire safety steps, you can drastically reduce the risk of a fire in your home.”
“Firefighters carried out gas readings in the flat that the initial call was received to and low levels of carbon monoxide were detected as a result of the earlier fire in the neighbouring property and Firefighters dealt with this. 1 adult and 2 children were out of the flat on arrival of Fire Crews.
“Three Fire Appliances were in attendance at these incidents – 2 from Cookstown and 1 from Dungannon Fire Station.”