Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service

Fatal Flat Fire, Cookstown

Date, Time: Friday 5 October 2018, 2.31am
Location: Cookstown
Details:

The thoughts and sympathies of Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) are with the family and friends of the 28 year old man who tragically died following a flat fire in Queens Avenue, Cookstown, in the early hours of this morning (Friday 5 October 2018).

 

We received a call to Queens Avenue at 2.31am initially to a report of a carbon monoxide alarm sounding in a flat.  While in attendance at this incident Firefighters noticed blackened windows in a neighbouring first floor flat.

 

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus immediately entered that property and rescued a man from the living room of the flat.  Sadly he died at the scene.  A fire in the kitchen of the property had burnt itself out.

 

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.  This tragic incident, which has occurred during Fire Safety Week 2018, emphasises the importance of following our basic fire safety advice, including having working smoke alarms and the need to test them once a week.

 

Firefighters carried out gas readings in the flat that the initial call was received to and low levels of carbon monoxide were detected as a result of the earlier fire in the neighbouring property and Firefighters dealt with this.  1 adult and 2 children were out of the flat on arrival of Fire Crews.

 

Three Fire Appliances were in attendance at these incidents – 2 from Cookstown and 1 from Dungannon Fire Station.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chief’s Blog

Stop Fire

Safety Check

Road Safety

Job Vacancies

Fire Safety