Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service

Accidental House Fire, Coleraine

Date, Time: 28 December 2018, 1.05am
Location: Laurel Hill Road, Coleraine
Details:

NIFRS received a call to a kitchen fire at a mid-terrace property on Laurel Hill Road, Coleraine at 1.05am on Friday 28th December 2018. A woman in her 70’s was out of the premises before fire crews arrived, having been alerted by the smoke alarm.

 

Two appliances from Coleraine Fire Station attended the incident. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire. The woman was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

 

The accidental fire is believed to have started in the tumble dryer. Thankfully, the occupier had a working smoke alarm fitted in her home which alerted her to the fire at an early stage.  She was able to leave the house before the arrival of the Firefighters.  This incident demonstrates the importance of having a working smoke alarm fitted in your home.

 

We would like to take this opportunity to remind people that leaving appliances such as washing machines, tumble driers or dishwashers, switched on when going to bed or leaving the house can create an extra fire hazard in the home.

 

NIFRS will be carrying out house visits in the area over the next few days to provide fire safety advice to local residents.


Chief’s Blog

Stop Fire

Safety Check

Road Safety

Job Vacancies

Fire Safety