Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service

Flat Fire, Short Strand, Belfast

A Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) Spokesperson said:  

“NIFRS received a call at 11.24am this morning (24 January 2019) to attend a flat fire on Rotterdam Street, Short Strand, Belfast.   

“Two Appliances from Central Fire Station and 1 Appliance from Knock Fire Station attended the incident.  

“Firefighters dealt with a well-developed fire in a first floor flat of a two storey block of flats.  

“A man in his 60’s was out of the flat prior to the arrival of Firefighters. He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by paramedics and was taken to hospital by Ambulance.  

“A working smoke alarm alerted the man to the fire.  This incident serves to highlight the importance of a working smoke alarm as they alert you to the earliest stage of a fire and give you vital extra time to escape.  NIFRS is reminding everyone to have a working smoke alarm on every floor of their home and to test it once a week to ensure it is working.  

“The cause of the fire is confirmed as accidental.  The incident was dealt with at 12.10pm”.



Chief’s Blog

Stop Fire

Safety Check

Road Safety

Job Vacancies

Fire Safety