Dean McWhirter Firefighter Control Regional Control Centre, NIFRS HQ, Lisburn Read this articleRead all 9 articles
A Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) Spokesperson said:
“We received a call today (6 June 2019) at 12.10pm to attend an incident on a farm on the Killylacky Road, Lisnaskea. One Fire Appliance from Lisnaskea Fire Station and 1 from Enniskillen Fire Station attended the incident.
“A man in his 70’s was overcome by slurry fumes while mixing slurry in a shed. The man had collapsed and he was rescued by another man in his 40’s from the shed prior to the arrival of Firefighters. Both men were treated at the scene by paramedics. Two cows in the shed were overcome by the fumes and died as a result. The incident was dealt with at 1.27pm.
“We would like to remind the farming community to ensure that the mixing of slurry is carried out in well ventilated spaces. Stay out of the shed for 30 minutes after starting mixing or after moving or re-directing the pump and try to mix on a windy day.”