Chip and grill pans are one of the most common causes of fire in the home, but if you follow some simple guidelines you’ll keep your kitchen safe:
- Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat of oil.
- Never leave the pan unattended when the heat is switched on.
- Never put the food in the pan if the oil begins to give off smoke; turn off the heat and leave the oil to cool, otherwise it could catch fire. Better still, use a deep fat fryer.
- Keep your grill pan clean, and never leave it unattended.
If your pan does catch fire:
- Do not move it.
- Turn off the heat if safe to do so, but never lean over the pan.
- Never throw water on the fire.