Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service

Chip Pans

Chip and grill pans are one of the most common causes of fire in the home, but if you follow some simple guidelines you’ll keep your kitchen safe:

  • Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat of oil.
  • Never leave the pan unattended when the heat is switched on.
  • Never put the food in the pan if the oil begins to give off smoke; turn off the heat and leave the oil to cool, otherwise it could catch fire. Better still, use a deep fat fryer. 
  • Keep your grill pan clean, and never leave it unattended.

 If your pan does catch fire:

  • Do not move it.
  • Turn off the heat if safe to do so, but never lean over the pan.
  • Never throw water on the fire.

Covid-19 NIFRS Response

Safety Check

Job Vacancies

Stop Fire

Road Safety