Fire and Emergency Support Services
Other services provided at an incident include:
• Immediate emotional and practical support
• Temporary shelter within the vehicle
• Support in seeking alternative accommodation
• Support with the care of children and provision of toys and books
• Support with the care of pets
• Signposting to other organisations for further assistance and recovery
• Use of a telephone
• Retrieval of personal items, data collection, and photographic evidence for occupants
• Use of shower and toilet facilities
• Provision of hygiene packs and clothing
• Transportation to alternative accommodation
• Basic First Aid and AED trained volunteers
FESS provides support to NIFRS at larger or protracted incidents through the provision of stage one feeding, toilet facilities, and comfort and rest facilities for Firefighters.
FESS are mobilised automatically to incidents involving 6 or more pumping appliances to provide fireground support, and to Level 2 and 3 Specialist Rescue Team incidents such as water rescue, rope rescue, body recovery, farming accidents, slurry incidents, wide area flooding and animal rescues.
In recent years FESS have also provided support to family members and emergency services at Road Traffic Collisions, and staffed rest centres for people who have had to leave their homes as a result of a gas leak or security alert.FESS Teams are located strategically throughout Northern Ireland at Cadogan, Crescent Link and Enniskillen Fire Stations providing a 50 mile radius cover or 70 minute travel time to any incident.