Enjoy Halloween Responsibly – Fire Safety Appeal from Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service
Halloween is traditionally one of the busiest nights of the year for Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) and in the run up to Halloween this year NIFRS is asking the public to think safety first and behave responsibly by not setting deliberate fires. Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service’s number one priority this Halloween is to keep everyone safe during the festivities
Peter Craig, Assistant Chief Fire Officer, Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service said; “The run up to Halloween is always a busy period for our firefighters. We want everyone in the community to enjoy themselves but to do so safely and responsibly. Fireworks and sparklers can be dangerous and without proper supervision they can cause serious injury.
“We would appeal to the public – parents, young people and community leaders – to always follow the Firework Code and plan any Firework display in advance to make it both safe and enjoyable.
”We would also ask people not to start deliberate fires in the run up to and during Halloween and to think of the consequences if Firefighters are diverted away from a real emergency by attending a fire that has been deliberately set. We want people to enjoy themselves at Halloween but to do so in a safe and responsible manner.”
Halloween Safety Advice
Fireworks: All outdoor fireworks require a licence so check with your local supplier who will be able to give you advice and help with your application and follow the firework safety code:
· Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114.
· Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box when not in use and keep away from ignition sources.
- Follow the manufacturer’s advice on each firework and use them one at a time.
- Light them at arms length using a taper. Stand well back.
- Never go near a firework that has been lit, even if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
- Always supervise children around fireworks.
- Keep pets and animals indoors – the flames and noise upset them.
- Don’t set off noisy fireworks late at night and never after 11pm.
- Indoor fireworks and sparklers do not require a licence but above advice is appropriate on their use.
Sparklers are often viewed as being harmless but they do burn at fierce temperatures. To a young child, the heat from a sparkler is equivalent to the heat from a welding torch.
- Store sparklers in a closed box in a cool, dry place
- Always light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves, keeping them at arms length.
- Never hold a baby or child if you a sparkler in your hand
- Plunge finished sparklers hot end down into a bucket of water as soon as they have burnt out. Sparklers stay hot for a long time.
- Don’t take sparklers to public displays. It will be too crowded to use them safely.
- Never give sparklers to under 5s – they will not understand how to use them safely
- Always supervise children using sparklers, give children gloves to wear and teach them how to use them properly
For further information please contact:
During Office Hours -
Carleen McNally, Corporate Communications Manager, Tel 02892 664221 or Mb 07789 208820.
Out Of Office Hours Media Enquires -
Duty Headquarters Officer, Tel 02892 664221.